These questions and additional materials are meant to help you study. They do not address all the material covered in the textbook and in class, but they may be useful to get you started in your study. Feel free to talk to us about possible solutions to these questions during office hours (and get office hours extra credits points in the process!) . The study questions will be posted at the end of each week.
Note: Several of the study questions have the same answer, but they are asked differently...
Note: Some links point to ShockWave animations. You can dowload a free player here.
Note: If you find other cool links and resources related to the material, let us know!
- Study Questions Week1
- FJ Gall , and phrenology. A historical perspective.
- Solve the neuron puzzle !
- Action potential animation
- Study Questions Week2
- Saltatory axonal conduction animation . The orange circles depicts Na/K flow of ions.
- Another saltatory conduction animation .
- The synapse: Quiz yourself !
- Synaptic transmission movie.
- CSF flow movie.
- Brain development animation.
- 16 year old girl who never grew ( ABC news )
- Study Questions Week3
- Brain research success stories (Society for Neuroscience)
- On the use of animals in Neuroscience research (Nuffield Council on Bioethics)
- Study Questions Week5
- More information on color blindness
- Label the eye !
- The visual cortex (animations by Tutis Vilis)
- Vision crosswords - and the answers. (from neuroscience for kids)
- Face recognition ... see how hard it actually is!
- The Thatcher Illusion .
- Face Blindness and how the brain recognizes faces (Society for neuroscience)
- Study Questions Week6
- Some auditory illusions.
- Information on Tinnitus (perceiving sounds that are not produced by external sources) from the American Tinnitus association .
- Test your hearing range (UNSW)
- Study Questions Week7
- For more infos on sleep: Check some general information on Sleep at the National Sleep Foundation .
- Listen to a NPR segment on why we sleep (13 MB file)
- Listen to a NPR segment on snoring (13 MB file)
- Infos on Restless Leg Syndrome at NIH and from the RLS foundation
- Infos on sleep apnea.
- Study Questions Week8