Welcome to the PostDoc Place
- We are a group of postdoctoral fellows from various disciplines (including but not limited to Neuroscience, Speech Language and Hearing, Psychology, Philosophy, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology). Our goal is to provide support and allow for the sharing of information among postdocs. We meet once or twice a month in room Psychology 321. If you want to be added to our (low traffic) mailing list, please contact Jean-Marc (fellous at email.arizona.edu). Below are our current/past meetings, and lots of links that may be of use to you!
- Next Planned Meetings:
- Wed Oct 10th, 2018, 4:15pm: Prof. Lee Ryan will share her thoughts and answer your questions on 'Project Management'. How do you know you have a project worthy of doing'? How do you know when to 'stop' a project? How do you know you have enough for a publication? For a conference? How many (different) projects should you be working on? How do you match a project to a student?
- Past Meetings:
- Wed Oct 3rd, 2018, 4:15pm: Let's talk about 'Individual Development Plans' (a.k.a. Postdoc mentoring plans). See also the Postdoc affairs IDP page.
- Organizational meeting-Fall 2018. Wed Sept 5th, 4:00pm (Psychology 321). We will make a list of topics we would like to address this semester and find a tentative time for our bi-monthly meetings.
- --------- Hiatus -------
- Summer. No meetings, but some news for you! The UA Postdoc Association is being created! The website is HERE. Get involved!
- Wed March 30th, 4:00 pm (Psych 317B): Interview season wrapup. We'll talk about the interview process, share impressions and experiences, talk about ways of making it it better next time :-(.
- Tu Feb 9th 2016, 4:00pm (Psych 317B): Practice interviews for a first faculty position - Part II. Try and prepare 'talking points' on research, teaching and service (3-5 bullet points each, that you can deliver in < 1 min/bullet point, making them sounds like a coherent whole).
- Jan 21st 2016, 4:15pm (Psych 317B): Practice interviews for a first faculty position. Try and prepare 'talking points' on research, teaching and service (3-5 bullet points each, that you can deliver in < 1 min/bullet point, making them sounds like a coherent whole).
- Jan 13th 2016, 4pm (Psych 317B): Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs Dr. Tom Miller will stop by to answer questions about the general structure of a university.What does a Dean do? Provost? Board of Regents? Where does the money come from? What are the different administrative branches and what to they do? Differences between private and public universities? How should young faculty best use the different university entities etc...
- Dec 2nd, 5pm: "The Graduate Center cordially invites you to a reception for UA postdoctoral scholars and for faculty who support postdoctoral scholars. The reception will be on December 2, 2015, in the Student Union Tucson Room from 5 PM to 6:30 PM. Please join us to meet colleagues and to learn about campus resources for postdoctoral scholars' professional development and career advancement." Click here to RSVP: UA Postdoctoral Scholar Reception RSVP. If you want to meet up in the Psychology buiding at 4:55pm (downstairs, main lobby), we'll walk together.
- Nov 18th, 4pm, room 314 (Psychology building). Job Search Round Table: Invited guest: Dr. Lynn Nadel (Psychology). Dr Nadel has been Department Head and chair of many search committees at UA. How does a department decide to open a job search? What does a search committee look for in an applicant? The interview process. The negotiations...
- Oct 2nd, 5pm: Organizational meeting
- Sept 16th, 5pm: Organizational meeting
Some Useful Links (no particular order)
Note: Feel free to email additional links or resources, and we'll post them here for everyone to see...
General Postdoctoral Resources
Funding for Postdocs
Job Search Links
General Postdoctoral Resources
National Postdoctoral Association
U of A Postdoctoral Resource Network
U of A Postdoc Association
U of A Postdoc Facebook Page
U of A Office for Research & Discovery: Workshops and Symposia
Funding for Postdocs
NRSA Individual Postdoctoral Fellowships (NIH-F32)
International Research Fellowships (for foreigners) (NIH-F05)
Pathway to Independence Award (NIH- K99/R00)
Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Biology (NSF - PRFB)
General list of Postdoctoral Fellowships (NSF)
National and international post-docs working on any psychiatric illnesses:Brain & Behavior Research Foundation
Workshops on grant writing and other resources (for junior faculty, but some apply to postdocs as well): Funding resources (draft page)
UA Psychology Department Research Committee (mostly for faculty, but some Postdoc resources)
Job Search Places
NeuroJobs (Society for Neuroscience)
Psychology Academic Job Wiki
PsychoNeuroxy.com (world-wide job searches)
Academic Keys.com (world-wide job searches)
Science Careers - Postdocs (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
Psychology Job Seach Wiki
For Linguistics: The linguist list
For Speech and Hearing: Council of academic programs in communication sciences and disorders
A free service from the Chronicle of Higher Education
Great venue to work on public speaking and leadership skills. You can drop in at any meetings, in any clubs to check it out.
UofA toastmasters website (5 clubs)
Arizona Toastmasters website (many clubs in AZ)
Toastmasters International - Main website
UofA child care/elder care resources